Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Barbarian Looks at 40

David Byrne famously asked "Well, how did I get here?" I know exactly what he meant.

Oddly enough forty isn't as frightening as I thought it would be. I'm as healthy as I've ever been, although my fitness has declined a bit that's due to post-war laziness. Financially I'm in good shape despite a turbulent economy. I have lots of friends and they are, without exception, some of the finest people there could be.

You live your life each day, it would be nice to say that each day you'd done your best, but most days I try not to screw up, and make an honest effort not to let down the people who depend on me. Maybe I'm pacing myself? Either way, one day you look at the calendar and see that a milestone is approaching. They sneak up on a person. Milestones carry only what importance each individual chooses to attach to them. I've always believed that the way you live each day is more important than the manner in which you commemorate milestones. But, to quote Ferris Bueller "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around, you might miss it."

So friends, family, acquaintances and admirers. Tip back a glass of your favorite whatever on the 7th. Murf is 40 and still going strong!

For those of you who haven't received an e-vite for the fiesta on the 25th drop me an e-mail and I'll make sure you get put on the list.

Oh, and whatever wealthy benefactors might like to enhance my celebration, here's my My Amazon.com Wish List

No comments: