Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Why are you still single?

I didn't know it, but apparently this is a commonly asked question. Especially when a guy gets to be my age. One of the first things a woman asks about him, or asks him directly, is 'Why are you still single?'

Where does this come from? Why is being married the default condition, the departure from which we must explain? WTF is wrong with you people?

Maybe I should start asking why someone is divorced or a single parent? Maybe I should inquire why someone is continuing in a loveless relationship? Oh, wait. I shouldn't. Why shouldn't I? Because it's rude as hell!

OK, thanks for that rant. Move along, nothing to see here.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

The courthouse? Ah, come on, you know we all love weddings! And you've even got out-of-state cousins visiting...it's the perfect time! And just for the record, those of us who have known you forever have never asked why you are still single.

Anonymous said...

My cousins are on their second marriages, have kids from two or three men, and have no marketable job skills to support themselves if this marriage doesn't work out.

But are they being asked anything about their bonehead choices?!