Thursday, March 30, 2006

Those who know me well, know that I'm a gym rat. The base gym on Camp Shelby (where we were training for the past six months) really sucked, so I was missing the opportunity to go somewhere and push heavy stuff up in the air. Well, the gym here in Kuwait is awesome, so as soon as the jet lag had settled, and I had a couple good nights of sleep I went to go work out.

I ran for a few minutes on the treadmill, then stretched out, then I decided to kick the session off with an ab workout. I picked up a medicine ball, set up an incline bench and started doing incline medicine ball crunches. At the second set, I somehow managed to bang my head against this metal handle at the top of the bench. I didn't think anything of it, it didn't really hurt, so I just kept going. Then one of the guys in another platoon came running up "Sergeant Murphy, you're bleeding all over the place!" Seems I'd kinda busted my head open without even realizing it. He put some direct pressure on the cut, and as I looked around to see who had witnessed this little scene, our brigade commander (full bird colonel, no less) is on the bench right beside me.

What a way to start out a year long combat tour.

No comments: